Freshman Election Turnout

A Comparison to Past Elections
Cienna Cattaneo
Nicola Recker, Woodside senior and BOSA class president

Eighteen freshmen ran for class elections this year compared to just six last year, making this election particularly competitive.

Fourth period teachers played the election video on September 11, giving freshmen the opportunity to cast their vote on the Voting4Schools website using their electronic devices. In order to eliminate the possibility of people voting more than once, they were required to enter their student ID and password.

“By eighteen people running for office, it shows that the freshman class has lots of spirit,” commented Diane Burbank, the principal of Woodside High School. “They are going to be able to make an impact on Woodside.”

Not only were there more people running; there were more voting. While a larger freshman class may have led to this increase, promotional posters and active campaigning may have played a part as well. Many of the candidates could be seen approaching new people and introducing themselves to people they didn’t know.

“It was honestly crazy how many people we had that ran to vote,” described Nicola Recker, Woodside senior and BOSA class president. “We had eighteen, which is the highest amount of people we’ve ever had.”

Burbank agrees with Recker that the amount of people who ran for class boards this year was unusual compared to previous elections.

It was honestly crazy how many people we had that ran to vote. We had eighteen, which is the highest amount of people we’ve ever had.

— Nicola Recker

“If you look at what’s happening in the real world and the number of people who are saying they are wanting to get involved and wanting to make a difference, the number [of students] running for freshmen offices are mirroring what you’re seeing in general society,” Burbank said.

The staff and administration were pleased by the outcome of this year’s elections.

“It’s honestly great, and I am just so happy that we had so many people who went out and ran for class boards to make an impact at this school,” Recker added.