Cross country is off to the races

Andrew Barty
Cross country runners from the 2022 season pose after completing PAL finals

Cross Country’s 2023 season is under way with two meets – the Lowell Invitational and the De La Salle Nike Invitational – now completed.

Led by girls XC captain Dana Reed and boys XC captain Dominic Barty, woodside runners compete against dozens of schools and hundreds of competitors. Senior and boys runner Judah Dulany led varsity in the Lowell Invitational, coming in 54th (of 213) competitors in the 2.78 mile course with a time of 15 minutes and 17.4 seconds. 

“I think I did pretty well,” Dulany said. “I was the first person across the line for Woodside [at the Lowell Invitational]. “It was a good race; I felt strong. It was a good opener for this upcoming season.”

The Peninsula Athletic League (PAL) #1 meet, originally scheduled for this past Wednesday, September 20th, was canceled for air quality reasons. It has since been rescheduled for Wednesday, September 27th at Half Moon Bay High School, making it Woodside runners’ next event.

“Our goal since 2021 has been to go to the state meet again,” Barty said. “We got moved down to D3, which is one of the easier divisions, so now our chances of going to state are looking pretty good.”

Two years ago, Woodside varsity cross country performed spectacularly, placing first in the Peninsula Athletic League, and then again at the Central Coast Section, eventually going to state. Varsity girls cross country runner Elle Marsyla even placed 20th out of 189 competitors at the state championships. This year, however, injuries may prove to be a problem.

“Jude [Bowen] is coming back from a five-month injury, I’m coming back from a 2 week injury on my Achilles, [and] Matthew [Nowell] is injured right now a little bit [with] a calf problem,” Barty said. “This season so far, we’ve been very unlucky with a lot of major and minor injuries that have really set back our training and our speed progression.”

In considering which opposing teams are particularly competitive this year, boys varsity runner Jude Bowen highlights Menlo Atherton High School.

“Our main opponent this year’s going to be MA,” Bowen said. “They are the only ones who are going to really challenge us for the PAL title. As far as on the CCS stage, St. Ignatius [College Preparatory School] and Sacred Heart Cathedral [Preparatory] are two main competitors.”

But, despite injuries and opponents, the team is optimistic, and ready to give their all.

“We have a very tight community, not even just in Woodside, but with other runners and other schools,” Barty said. “We have a really great atmosphere – everyone is very supportive. We’re a very small team, but really close and we work hard.”