Woodside’s Cross Country Team at State

Sachiko Steiner
The Varsity Cross Country teams finished off their exceptional season at CIF state competition

On Saturday, November 27, Woodside’s varsity cross country boys placed 17th and Elle Marsyla from varsity girls placed 20th out of 189 at the CIF State Cross Country Championships in Fresno. 

After placing 1st at CCS, the team made their way to state to finish up their 2021-2022 season. The entire varsity boys team: Ethan Brooks, Kai Steiner, Maximilian Hohendorf, Nayan Smuek, Hans Buhr, Jude Bowen, and Dominic Barty qualified for state. Senior Elle Marsyla from the girl’s varsity team in individual competition. 

Senior and varsity cross country athlete Ethan Brooks has been the top runner most of the season.

“I was a little disappointed with my time, but I’m happy that my teammates had a good race,” Brooks said. “Overall we got 17th and I think we did well.”

This was the first time the entire Woodside cross country team has qualified for state.

“It has been a great experience [competing at state] … I am proud of my whole team, I think Maximilian did a [especially] great job.”

Brooks finished his last high school cross country season with great individual performance as well as the rest of the team.

“It has been great to be a part of this team and I’m grateful,” Brooks said.

Read about their successful season this year in Thomas Beasley’s article “Woodside Cross Country’s Amazing Season