“Getting involved” is important for college

Luisa Gapastione
In addition to the many clubs on campus, other opportunities to get involved include Woodside’s Academies, community service, sports, and performing arts.

High school is full of opportunities for students to branch out and learn more about who they are and what they’re interested in.

Clubs, community service, student government, and sports are just some examples of what makes a college application more competitive. By being invested in activities outside of normal classes, students give colleges and universities a deeper look into who they are.

“Colleges and universities are looking for students who show they have an interest in something outside of the classroom,” College and Career Counselor Francisco Jose Gil said. “They would [want to] see you do an activity and really dedicate time to that one.” 

Sophomore Katherine Morales has multiple extracurricular activities that showcase how she spends her time and the skills she has learned.

“Extracurriculars I’m volunteering in include [being a] teacher’s assistant, boxing, and martial arts,” Morales said. “I have been doing kung fu for nine years so that shows commitment. I’ve been doing choir for four years and with that I also help with the younger [choir] group and that gives me volunteering hours.”

Sophomore Emily Parker is active in the Octagon Club and Best Buddies club, as well as playing multiple sports, Scouting, and is a part of Green Academy.

“These activities showcase my commitment to sports, community service, and my main focus on environmental causes,” Parker said. “Through them, I aim to communicate my well-roundedness, leadership skills, and dedication to making a positive impact.”

According to Gil, while academics are important to colleges, they also want to know what the student is like in addition to that.

“[Colleges] want to see some depth into what you are working on outside of school,” Gil said. “If you want to do sports, they want to see that you’ve been able to dedicate your time outside of the classroom while maintaining good grades.”

However, clubs, sports, and other extracurriculars don’t just have to be about building a competitive application according to Morales.

“A way I balance having fun and doing specific extracurriculars for college is finding extracurriculars that would look good for college and that I enjoy doing,” Morales said. “All of my extracurriculars are something that I am personally passionate about and they show some kind of skill that would look good on applications.”

With so many extra responsibilities, students like Morales and Parker have to organize their time in order to have fun while staying on top of their work.

“School is my top priority, and I make sure extracurriculars don’t compromise my homework, but I never let it completely overwhelm me so I balance it with activities I love, like my sports and clubs,” Parker said. “Setting clear priorities and managing time effectively helps me navigate this challenge. It’s about finding the right balance and understanding that not everything can take top priority.”

Students who want to know more about ways they can get involved and activities they should focus on can reach out to their academic counselor and set up a meeting.

“One thing I like to remind students of is that there is a school out there for you and there’s help here along the way,” Gil said. “It may not be a one-size-fits-all, but there are options for you after high school whether it be college, a career, or both.”

Morales and Parker have found enjoyment and accomplishment in their after-school activities, as well as giving colleges a good idea of the kind of students they are.

“Being involved in high school only has positives, it gives you experience and a better understanding of your hobbies and what you want to do,” Parker said. “It also makes you a well-rounded student for several colleges. Not to mention, it makes your high school experience more fun and interesting.”

View Comments (1)