Women’s Decisions in Politics

Women should be able to have a voice in politics without being treated poorly.
Younger sister of on of my teammates

Emma Hague
Simon Hague watches MSNBC.

In politics today, women are coming more prevalent in the scene. They have their own views on life compared to the people running the government right now. When talking to other students and parents, they have different perspectives on what is happening in the world right now.

“I think the old white male establishment doesn’t want women in politics at all,” commented my dad, Simon Hague. “I think they get treated poorly.”

Hague is part of the Democratic party, and he supports women making changes in politics

“Somebody called the new freshman Congresswomen from New York, what’s her name, Cortez… one of the old white men in Congress called her a little girl and to keep her mouth shut,” Hague recalled. “They don’t deserve that.”

People who come from different political parties sometimes have some of the same views, but also polar opposites.

“Well, duh, I am a Republican as you know, but that’s the political party,” described a Brodie Nolan. “The ideology that I am is conservative, conservatism.”

Nolan, a conservative Republican, is a freshman at Serra High School.

Emma Hague: So, how do you think women are treated differently in politics?

Brodie Nolan: Politics in general?

Emma Hague: Yes.

Brodie Nolan: In the past, they were treated like their opinions didn’t matter. They were treated unfairly and with women’s rights a lot of that changed, but it took time. Nowadays it’s pretty much like the same all across the board. Dare I say, sort of when they run they are put on a pedestal.

I think the old white male establishment doesn’t want women in politics at all. I think they get treated poorly.

— Simon Hague

When coming from a women’s point of view, it’s different than a man’s point of view. It’s also different between Republicans and Democrats.

“I think women are treated differently in politics because their voices are not as easily heard,” commented Penny Heith. “We were doing something about this in school where women actually do a lot more of the work but get a lot less credit.”

Heith is a Democrat, a freshman at Carlmont High School, and a part of the track team.

Emma Hague: Do you think you could ever take a women’s position in politics? Do you ever think you could that role?

Penny Heith: I think it would be really hard, but I think I might be able to do something like that.

Emma Hague: How do you feel about women being treated differently in politics?

Penny Heith: I feel like it is really unfair, like, it’s just unfair.

Women work very hard to get where they want to go in life, either going into college to become an engineer or politician or taking a different route and going straight into working.

Many little girls don’t grow up thinking I want to be a congresswomen, but more like ballerina or veterinarian. After they grow up and learn more about themselves and make their own views about the world, they can go into another direction in exploring themselves as someone part of a political party.

For the Woodside Paw Print, I’m Emma Hague.

Author Emma Hague.