The Invisible Confinements of Social Classes

Every year, people of different social classes feel confined to limitations that aren’t there. They think that because they were born with less than others that they have to have less than others.

Vincent Vierra, a Woodside High School freshman, said, “It’s sad that some people are less fortunate than I am, and I want everyone to have the same opportunities and not have money or experience be something that they are lacking.”

If I act like I’m the best person in the world and act all like that, I won’t want to help other people. But if I act a little different, then I will want to help people.

— Colton Bowers

Vierra is talking about how he feels towards people less fortunate than him. He is growing up in a family that thinks you should always help those with less than you.

“My parents always encourage me to help out people less fortunate than me, so I always try to follow through with that,” Vierra explained.

Some people can’t get themselves out of the situation that they’re in. Colton Bowers, a student at Woodside High School, said, “When I see people less fortunate than me, I put myself in their shoes and think what it would be like and try to help them.”

This is the camp for a Mexico mission trip in which volunteers help Mexican citizens living below the poverty line.

Bowers believes that if you think that if you don’t think about what it’s like to only have a little you won’t want to help people that only have a little.

“If I act like I’m the best person in the world and act all like that, I won’t want to help other people,” Bowers described. “But if I act a little different, then I will want to help people.”

It’s important that we try to help others with less than us.

Emily DeVitis, my mom, said, “Missions were important to me. I took a high school trip to a place in North Carolina which was a simulated experience living in a remote village. That was very intriguing to me.” 

I think that we all need to help others with less than us no matter what we think of them.

“Whether it’s caring for the poor or specifically giving the message of the gospel, I think in missions a lot of the message we give is that people matter and they’re loved,” DeVitis concluded.

For the Woodside Paw Print, I’m Dominic DeVitis.

Chloe Postlewaite Author Dominic DeVitis.