Boys soccer continues, with junior varsity exhibiting a particularly strong season

@woodsideathleticboosters
Woodside boys soccer varsity coach Darrell Ringman (left) and junior varsity coach Jorge Moreno, watching the away game at Sequoia, which resulted in a 0-1 loss for varsity and a 2-1 victory for junior varsity

Boys soccer is halfway through their league season with their last league game being on February 10th. Currently, varsity boys soccer sits at a 2-2 league record while junior varsity maintains a 3-0-1 league record.

As the teams prepare to face rivals Menlo Atherton High School at their next home league game, Woodside is aiming to obtain yet another win.

“Our biggest rivals are Sequoia, Menlo Atherton, and Carlmont,” freshman junior varsity player Luca Marks said. “I hope that during this upcoming game [against Menlo Atherton] we can play more as a team and possess the ball a lot. I also hope we can stay calm and communicate [well].”

The prior season, boys soccer reached new heights, after making it as far as Central Coast Section (CCS) finals. Despite a hard-fought 1-2 loss, the team could appreciate the fact that this was their first CCS final since 1980.

“Last season, the team did a great job staying motivated and positive throughout the league games, which led us to the division 3 CCS finals,” varsity captain Lorenzo Pepe said. “This season I hope that we can make it [to] CCS and win it all.”

Although all eyes were on varsity last season, this year, one could argue that junior varsity is grabbing a lot of the attention, having seven overall wins with only one loss.

“Last year was really good, we [made] top three in league,” junior varsity player Patrick Hobeychi said. “[This season], our team chemistry is really reflecting in our games. I’m proud that we’re first in [the] league.”