Girl’s soccer prepares for upcoming season

Woodside Athletic Boosters
Last year’s 2021 varsity girl’s soccer celebrates after a goal against Sequoia High school.

With a league win under their belt after last year’s season, the girl’s varsity soccer team is looking forward to matching this record despite losing eight seniors.

After falling short to Archbishop Mitty High School in the quarterfinals of the Central Coast Section tournament (CCS) last year, the girl’s varsity soccer team is excited to come back strong this season. 

“This season we want to win the league again,” Senior soccer player Angeni Garcia said. “We plan to try to go undefeated, but overall, the biggest goal is just to create a good team bond.” 

A strong team bond will prove beneficial for the team as they face fierce competition against league rivals and top-ranked high school girls’ soccer teams in California, such as Archbishop Mitty High School and Saint Francis High School. 

“I’m a bit nervous for [the games against] Menlo-Atherton High School and Sequoia High School, but I’m extremely excited to play against them,” Garcia said.

With strong seniors returning and promising new underclassmen players joining varsity, Garcia expects that this new mix of players will prove beneficial for the rest of the season. 

“We’ve got a bunch of returning seniors coming back, like Josephine Meade, Sofia Bellver Eymann, Pilar Vanheusden, Sienna Bruno, Cebelli Pfeifer, Cassandra Herrera, and Natalia Torres,” Garcia said.

To prepare for games, the varsity girl’s soccer team works both on technical skills and game play during practices. 

“The average practice starts off with a warm up, and then we’ll get into some type of technical [work],” Garcia said. “[After that,] we’ll start shooting or [do] a scrimmage.”

Both varsity and junior varsity will play their first game versus Half Moon Bay High School at Woodside. 

“I’m excited for the season,” Garcia said.