Woodside Sports COVID Outbreak

Kaitlyn Chen

As Woodside returns from winter break, there is a significant increase in COVID-19 cases. The spike in positive tests has also affected winter sports. 

During the first week back from winter break, eight girls on the girls’ varsity soccer team tested positive for COVID. Their practices were canceled for the week after.

“Those who got COVID are back now,” Julia Lopez, a sophomore on Girls Varsity Soccer said. “The games before were moved because of all the positive cases. We have three games a week now because of the postponed games.”

There were also outbreaks within the basketball teams, and a few games were postponed. Because basketball is an indoor sport, restrictions have been placed on game spectators. 

“Just [family] or four people each player can come,” Claire Sonnenburg, a sophomore on Girls Varsity Basketball, explained. 

Names are also taken down at games, so it is easier to do contact tracing if needed.

“Even though the new restrictions seem inconvenient it’ll make it worth it if we are able to finish the season without any shutdowns,” Sonnenburg said.