The Still Looming Threat for Minorities Even After the Election

As the Election comes to a close with Biden as the winner, many people of color are still worried.
STACEY WESCOTT – CHICAGO TRIBUNE/TNS
Black Live Matter supporters and Trump supporters face off in Kenosha, Wisconsin.
Construction crew boarding up shop windows in Union Square, San Francisco. (Nick Otto / Special to The San Francisco Chronicle)

While over 70 million people let out a held breath when Biden won the election, many wondered: Would minorities be safe?

Major cities across the United States, like New York and San Francisco, braced for militia attacks. Even before the election results were announced, data from a USA Today/ Suffolk University poll stated that 75% of Americans were concerned about civil unrest. Just weeks before election night, both Democratic and Republican people bought their first guns, and in total, 7 million firearms were purchased. After a week of seemingly peace with no civil unrest, gun purchase rates have gone down by 9%, and many store owners have unboarded their stores. 

“I feel like this election had a lot of tension to it. We didn’t have the outcome we thought we were going to have because businesses literally started closing down because they were scared. I’m just glad I didn’t get that level, and [most] people were able to calmly accept the thought that Biden won,” Claudia Nolasco, a junior at Woodside, stated.

Though seemingly peaceful, many minorities are still concerned. Now, President Donald Trump and his lawyers are set on suing states and refusing the results. Many feared that it might lead to many Trump supporters lashing out against minorities.  

“Because I am a person of color or a different descent, I’m not sure if I would feel comfortable posting a Biden/Harris sign outside of my house,” stated  Yeni Jimenez, a teacher here at Woodside.“I don’t know that I have the privilege to really publicly express my political views: in comparison to a lot of my neighbors who do have a lot of signs and can post freely. They really don’t have to feel afraid that someone might retaliate against them for their views.”

Trump supporter militia armed at a demonstration in Louisville. (Alex Lourie)

In Pennsylvania, several people with firearms gathered at the capital to intimidate while the ballots were still counted. Two armed men were also arrested earlier this week in Philadelphia. Police said they received a tip about an alleged plot to attack a convention center that had been compiling votes.

“I think the fact that Trump has refused to concede and [that he] is still encouraging his supporters is going to keep the violence going until he’s just completely out of the picture. …People still believe wholeheartedly in this cause, and it’s dangerous for anybody that doesn’t stand with them,” stated Diya Mittal, a freshman at Woodside.

Though Biden has been declared the winner of the election, the lasting fear from the effects of the Trump Administration still lingers. 

“For me, it was very real. My husband was a DACA recipient. …To have that constant threat looming off [of] ‘we’re gonna look for you and send you back to a place you don’t know,’ It is definitely scary.” Jimenez stated: “It was very real. Even though you know both Democrats and Republicans have enacted things against immigrants, I think having Biden in power doesn’t necessarily ease all the fears. It just does come down the anxiety in terms of how things will be inactive.” 

Hate crimes against Asian Americans have also skyrocketed as the pandemic death rates continue to climb. A study conducted by the STOP AAPI Hate Youth Campaign found that 1 in 4 Asian Americans have personally experienced anti-Asain hate during the Pandemic due to many focusing the blame on China. Current President Trump and his supporters have repeatedly called COVID-19 the “China Virus” or “Kung Flu.”  In recent weeks the government stated that several vaccines are being finalized and approved. 

“I definitely think [vaccines] will not be enough to keep racism towards Asain Americans out of the picture,” Mittal stated.”Any racism is terrible, but the fact that it’s so high right now is just outrageous. If this vaccine actually works, just the fact that COVID will be kind of less on people’s minds would lessen the effects, but I don’t think it’ll lessen it to an extent.”

Many minorities are celebrating a positive from this election. Not only is Vice President-elect Kamala Harris, a woman, but she is also of African and Indian descent.

“It’s a huge moment to have someone who’s a person of color and a woman since throughout history. We had only male and generally white presidents. It is a game-changer. Though some people don’t agree with her policies, regardless, it’s historic and a huge moment in history. She’s done something almost impossible in the eyes of teens around the United States. Her being Vice president will help minorities be more seen in the government. I’m just really happy,”  Nolasco stated.

People protesting after the death of George Floyd at a Black Lives Matter protest. (Mark J. Terrill)

At the height of the Black Lives Matter movement [BLM] this summer, many people of all races and genders came out to protest. While the country was – and still is – divided, Biden has stated that he and his administration will address police reform and will support the Black Lives Matter movement in the fight for equality. Mittal thinks:

“Systematic racism is not something that will be changed dramatically in the time span of one presidency,” Mittal concludes. “The demographics are shifting very dramatically. There’s going to be a huge new wave of voters by 2024, many of which are people who protested for Black Lives Matter. This election has divided our country more than before—the stakes. And I also think with Kamala Harris being vice president, it really kind of enhances that idea of the difference. And I think the chance for parties to understand each other is there, but I don’t know if it will be taken advantage of, but we have to hope.”