North and South Korea’s Historic Meeting

Woodside has differing opinions on the affects of the landmark deal both at home and abroad.

North and South Korea have met in a landmark series of deals that promise denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula, along with an official end to the Korean War, by the end of the year.

While the promise of peace between the two countries has global implications, students at Woodside High School have their own opinions on the effects of the peace treaty.

Tori Schmidt, a junior, is skeptical about the real-life implications of the talks.

“I don’t think it’s going to last,” she explains flatly. “I’m don’t think I’m safer, or the world is, because of it. Like I said, this isn’t necessarily going to change anything.”

While many citizens share Schmidt’s sentiment, others are more positive regarding the implications. Bella Cortez, a Woodside student, believes the eventual removal of nuclear weapons from the Korean peninsula could keep her safer.

“The promise of the two countries being less aggressive towards one another is a good thing. Especially with North Korea’s leader being so volatile towards the United States…denuclearization is good.”

U.S. President Trump has been cautious of the talks. While, like Cortez, he believes the statements from North and South Korea “have been very positive,” his administration has discussed the worry that the talks will provide false hope to citizens everywhere about lessened tensions.

The declarations made by the treaty have been surprisingly broad: along with statements regarding complete denuclearization, a new peace treaty is set to replace the one that previously held together an uneasy truce between the countries. It is also set to reduce sanctions between the two countries and various allies of South Korea.

Woodside junior Lauren Saxelby, while intrigued by the treaty, felt that it might hold more meaning for North and South Korea than her local community.

“The treaty helps Korean tensions,” she discusses. “But I don’t know if it directly affects me.”

While California is in range of North Korean missiles, experts remain unsure if North Korea will follow through on their promise of disarmament.

Meredith Sumpter of the Eurasia group says the group believes there are “very low odds” that North Korea will abandon its nuclear arms program. “It does not change the long term calculations that the North Korean leader has made,” she added.

But whether or not the milestone peace agreement is set to last, it will most likely be discussed at the summit between American leader Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

“I think positive communications between the two countries is a good thing.” Bella Cortez states. “But that doesn’t mean name-calling. As long as Trump’s not calling him ‘rocket man,’ I’m glad the countries are meeting.”