Girls varsity lacrosse begins their season with a strong start

Woodsidegirlslax
Varsity girls lacrosse players pose for the camera after practice.

Girls varsity lacrosse kicks off the season with new and returning players who are excited for the season.

The girls lacrosse team competes with the West Bay Athletic League (WBAL) in the Skyline Division. Currently, the varsity girls lacrosse team is tied for first place in their division with Hillsdale High School. After playing against Sequoia High School, Woodside Priory, and Carlmont High School, winning 10-9, 18-8, and 11-7 respectively, varsity girls lacrosse is sitting at a 3-0 record.

“I’m looking forward to making new friends and for all of us to be collaborating and working well together to win all of our games and do the best we can,” freshman and attacker Madeline Morton said.

Senior attacker and defender Chloe Nangle also adds that she looks forward to the season and team activities that allow for strong community building within the team.

“We do a lot of fun things, like sophomore year, we all went on a hike together, [and] we have a lot of fun spirit days,” Nangle said.

Through lacrosse, student athletes on the team note how lacrosse helps meet new people, exercise, build teamwork, and many other things.

“I learned that teamwork is really important and you can’t do everything by yourself,” Morton said, “It’s ok to ask for help if you need help with something or you don’t understand.”

Adding on to asking for help, freshman attacker Alexa Vincenzo has learned new skills from playing lacrosse that translate well to many of her other activities.

“I learned how to be much louder through lacrosse because it’s all about yelling,” Vincenzo said.

In previous years, varsity girls lacrosse has made it to the Central Coast Section (CCS), placing as tenth seed in 2023 and eighth seed in 2022. The team has won WBAL’s Skyline Division championship title six times in 2016, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022, and 2023. With this experience under their belt, varsity girls lacrosse looks forward to a strong season.

“We usually make it to CCS, so we’ll definitely keep working hard [this season],” Nangle said.