Swinging out of the Girls Golf season

A member of the Girls Golf team winds up her swing to hit the ball.
Woodside Athletic Boosters

Girls Golf finished off their season with some highlights and looks forward to future opportunities to grow their team.

Senior Manon Lenoir reflected back on the season and gave insight into a sport that lacks recognition in the Woodside community. Despite their success last season and maintaining stability in their standings this season, the Girls Golf team has not been acknowledged in the same way that other sports have. 

“We had about four wins,” Lenoir said. “So we didn’t obviously didn’t win every match. But we definitely all improved and it was a good experience playing people who are better than us.”

Lenoir went on to explain her own experience in golf and elaborated on their experience moving up a league.

“I started playing golf two years ago and I joined the golf team my junior year,” Lenoir said. “We did really well [my] junior year so we moved up a league into the highest level. We got to play with the top [teams] in our area.”

Many students may not keep up with golf because the rules and scoring are not as popular or well-known as a sport like football.

“You total up all your strokes and then you take the five lowest scores from your team,” Lenoir said. “You add those together and compare with the other team. Whoever gets the lowest score wins.”

In terms of finishing up their season, Girls Golf participated in senior night traditions.

“[For senior night] our coach got us flowers and then we had dinner at [Redwood City’s] Vesta afterwards,” Lenoir said.

With so many seniors leaving, Lenoir advocates for the sport and for more students to join the sport.

“Underclassmen should join the girls golf team because most of us are seniors right now,” Lenoir said. “And we’re graduating so we need more players so that people can keep it going.”

Overall, the golf team offers a positive place where people can participate in a sport and develop a sense of community.

“We had a great coach and a great team,” Lenoir said. “Everyone was really nice.”