Spring sports spring to life

Girls+lacrosse+recently+paid+tribute+to+their+seniors.+
Cedrik von Briel
Girls lacrosse recently paid tribute to their seniors.

Woodside’s Boys’ Golf Team

Woodside’s golf team shows promise this spring season.

At golf games, athletes compete against other schools in the Bay Area. Woodside’s golf games are scored according to a point system. 

“The top four scores of both teams get added up and whoever has the lowest score wins,” junior varsity golf player, Owen Perez, said. “That’s how golf works.”

The team has won some games and lost some others.

“I know we lost a bunch [of games],” Perez recalled. “[I know] because I stopped going when they changed to the studio because of my time window.”

Woodside’s Girls’ Lacrosse Team

Girls’ lacrosse at Woodside began at the end of January, and is now in full swing, with practices every day and games often. 

“We have practice from 5:30-7:30 on the football field,” junior varsity lacrosse player Isella Gapastione said. “We start with warm-ups and do a few drills and shuttle lines.”

The varsity lacrosse team and the junior varsity teams do different things during practices. 

“We split up from varsity and we do some scrimmages and work out new plays and practice in game scenarios,” Gapastione said. 

Lacrosse is a competitive sport, where many games are played at Woodside or other schools in the area. 

“We play 5 different schools; Aragon, Sacred Heart Cathedral, Burlingame, Carlmont, and Sequoia,” said Gapastione. 

The lacrosse team has won an impressive four games against other schools. They’ve tied one game and lost two, maintaining an overall successful season.

“We have won four games, tied one game, and lost 2 games,” Gapastione explained. 

The team’s next game is against Woodside’s rival, Sequoia High School, which will make for a promising game. 

“All of our home games are on the football field, and our last home game is against Sequoia on April 29th,” said Gapastione. 

Woodside’s Boys’ Tennis Team

Woodside’s boys tennis team recently won a game against Westmoor High School, showing the promising potential the team holds.

“At practices, we start by stretching, doing warm ups and serving,” varsity tennis player and captain, Shai Dickman said. After that we have games but mostly we do a lot of match playing practice. Practices are every day from 3:30 to 5pm at the tennis courts.”

Some tennis matches include games to spice things up for the players.

“Some games we include [are] two games called up-river-down-river and Champs vs Chumps.” Dickman added.

Up-river-down-river is a rotation format game that involves moving up and down the court. Champs vs. chumps is a game where an equal number of players line up behind baselines on each side of the court, one side being the champs, and the other the chumps.

Woodside’s varsity tennis team hopes to reach greater heights to match their potential.

“An issue with our league is that about half of the schools in it struggle to even have a full team so hopefully we move up to the upper league soon,” Dickman said.

The varsity tennis team played against Westmoor High School on Tuesday, April 12th. Westmoor’s team only had five players; which is not a full tennis team.

“Our game against Westmoor High School went well, as we won all 4 of our matches: singles 1,3,4 and doubles 1,” Dickman explained. “All the other matches were defaulted to us since their team had only 5 players.”

Overall, tennis is a worthwhile sport at Woodside with many positive aspects.

“Tennis is a great welcoming and fun sport where players are supportive of each other and there is a very low stress environment,” Dickman concluded.