Upcoming Spring Sports: Swimming and Lacrosse

Swim+team+is+a+sport+that+requires+strenuous+activity+and+effort.+
Swim team is a sport that requires strenuous activity and effort.

Spring sports, like lacrosse and swimming, are coming up soon at Woodside and will begin within two months.

Girl’s lacrosse begins on January 31, with practices every day after school from 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm on Bradley Field. There will also be practices during mid-winter-break in February, as well as spring break in March. Stacey Myers and Kevin Miller will be coaching the girl’s lacrosse team this year. This season will be both coaches’ tenth season.

Woodside’s boys’ lacrosse team is coached by AJ Bungert. Tryout information and the schedule have yet to be finalized and posted.

Another upcoming spring sport is the swim team, coached by Stephanie Couch. The team will be practicing Mondays through Fridays from 3:30 pm to 5:30 pm, and on Wednesday mornings from 6:20 am to 7:30 am. Meets will be on Fridays, beginning on March 4th. The first swim meet will be against Aragon High School.

Swim teams compete in numerous swim events throughout the season. These events include races like the 100-meter freestyle, 100-meter backstroke, 200-meter freestyle, and more. During practices, coaches will set up certain things for the swimmers to do.

“The coaches will probably create a warmup set that we will do at the beginning of every practice,” freshman Samanta Sebiy, who was on the water polo team during the fall of 2021, said.

Sebiy is interested in trying out for the swim team this season. Being on the team requires rigorous training and effort. Practice usually consists of warmups and drills.

“[The coaches will] either tell us the next set or write it on the board,” Sebiy continued. “These sets are usually long and have timed intervals. There are also going to be sprints, which are basically just swimming as fast as you can.”