MrBeast Now Promises To Make A League of Legends Team

Not known for his gaming side, MrBeast has officially decided to make an eSports team.
ClutchPoints courtesy

American Youtuber MrBeast, or Jimmy Donaldson, has announced that he is officially going to start an eSports team for the popular game League of Legends.

MrBeast is mostly known for his challenge videos, in which he gives away a large sum of money to the winner. Donaldson posted his first YouTube video in 2011 but started to gain recognition in 2017. He has never been known for making online-gaming content. Instead, he makes videos where friends and fans compete for a large sum of money.

Because of this disconnect, the online community has mixed feelings about Donaldson’s new eSports venture. The game Donaldson’s team will compete in, League of Legends, is an online multiplayer battle arena game that is known for being very competitive. It is one of the most popular eSports games: in 2014, they had 27 million players daily and 67 million monthly. These are some of the best statistics for an eSports game in the world.

The League of Legends community disagrees with the idea of him opening an eSports team because they think it makes them seem like a joke, and all you need is money to own a team.

“[Donaldson’s eSports team is] a very big publicity stunt because this is after a big League of Legends event that brought millions of people together,”  League of Legends player Lucas Hornstein said. “It reflects poorly on the League of Legends community.”

The League of Legends community sees this as a “slap in the face” due to him never playing the game publicly.

“I wouldn’t expect that of him. I didn’t even know he liked League,” MrBeast fan Shianna Sia stated.

Donaldson has a second channel called MrBeast Gaming, where he plays video games with his friends. Not many people know about this channel, so it was surprising to people that he knew about such a game.

“I like that he is trying to get involved with video games,” League of Legends player and MrBeast fan Axel Galindo said. “I will support him no matter what, even if he gets a bunch of hate.”

View Comments (1)