Kaepernick Sits During Anthem In Protest

Quarterback doesn’t stand for anthem in protest of inequality.
322074069016

SANTA CLARA, CA – Colin Kaepernick, in protest of racial inequality in America, refused to stand up for the national anthem at the beginning of a football game.

Since the beginning of the preseason, the 49ers quarterback has been sitting on the bench rather than standing for the national anthem. When it was first noticed on August 26th at a home game against the Green Bay Packers, Kaepernick was questioned about his actions.

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,” said Kaepernick. “When there’s significant change and I feel that flag represents what it’s supposed to represent, and this country is representing people the way that it’s supposed to, I’ll stand.”

His actions sparked controversy across the country. Many people either supported his actions or condemned him for what they thought was disrespectful to the country.

“It’s sad for all the military people who have given their lives, and who are thinking of giving their lives for our freedom, for his right to do that and to disrespect the flag and everything that it stands for,” said a Denver Broncos fan from Colorado.

As the National Anthem and flag are widely viewed as important cultural symbols of the U.S., much of the conversation is being focused on whether or not Kaepernick was being disrespectful rather than the topics he wanted to bring to light.

“They’re losing what the relevant issues are,” said Coach Andrews of Woodside High School football in an interview with the Woodside World.

When asked if he would support any of his own athletes should they do something similar, Andrews said, “If they thought it through and wanted to make a point about something important, I would.”

Many other athletes have endorsed Kaepernick. “I listened to him and he makes all of the sense in the world,” said Jim Brown, former Cleveland Browns star to the NFL Network. “He’s within his rights and he’s telling the truth as he sees it. I am with him 100%.”

Jim Brown is known for taking part in the Civil Rights movement of the 60s, when he started his NFL career. Many are connecting Kaepernick’s protest to other athletes of that time.
“After Muhammad Ali died, people were asking why can’t more athletes be like him, standing up for people’s rights; they were almost calling out today’s athletes for not taking stances like he did,” said Coach Andrews. “But now that Kaepernick is doing exactly that, they’ve turned around and are criticizing him. Kaepernick is what people wanted.”