What age should kids start using makeup?

This article appeared in the Fall 2023 magazine, Growing Up.

Growing up with makeup can be an exciting journey of creativity and a way to express yourself.

Growing up is a journey of self-discovery and many new experiences. When it comes to makeup there are many different kinds of cosmetics and people use them in different ways. Some people use beauty essentials for fun and because they enjoy doing it. They may want to pursue some type of career having to do with glamor. Others may just wear makeup because others do. Woodside students had diverse responses to this topic. In the U.S., 80 percent of girls aged nine to eleven use beauty products. This proved evident in the Woodside community per account of junior Marisol Diaz.

“I started wearing makeup at 10 years old,” Diaz said. “I would start experimenting with it at a young age.” 

Other interviewees had different opinions on kids using cosmetics at a young age but agreed makeup serves as a way to discover new things. It’s a way to experiment with new things and it makes many people feel confident. Senior Diana Abraham explained why young kids should be able to experiment with new looks.  

“I think letting younger kids experiment with [makeup] is fine because it lets them try new things and it’s a fun experience,” Abraham said.  “I feel like this impacts insecurities because they’ll feel like they need to wear makeup at all times when they should feel comfortable with themselves.” 

There is no set age to use cosmetic products, it all depends on personal preference, comfort, and possibly some rules that are set by the parents or guardians. Many kids experiment in their early teens and some wait until they are a bit older, it all depends on the individual. 

I would let my kids use cosmetic products because if they wanted to experiment with it then I’d be fine with it,” senior Kimberly Prado said. “As long as they were doing it for themselves and not just doing it because others do.”