How is anxiety present in relationships?

Samantha Marquez
The image shows a girl trying not to panic and overthink about her relationship

Anxiety in relationships depends on the individuals involved, the type of relationship it is, and a person’s experiences with relationships in the past.

Relationships cause uneasiness sometimes. Anxiety in relationships can be quite complicated and it can mean different things to different people. Some people may think that relationships don’t cause tension because people find solutions. So neither partner will feel any type of nervousness like communicating with each other if something is bothering them and many other reasons . Everyone’s emotions are very different when it comes to relationships, talking stages, etc. There are many different reasons why people may get stressed from relationships, some of these reasons are toxicity, miscommunication, they may not be ready for a relationship, or a partner may have distress. Woodside students said they do think relationships cause anxiety.

“[It’s] the worst when [you and a significant other are] barely communicating with each other,” Junior Emiliano Lombera said. “If there’s no communication it feels a certain way. The [people] feel different ways and they both end up feeling anxious.”

Some people get attached easily and when there’s no communication it causes them to feel some kind of fear that the relationship will end. They tend to need reassurance while in the relationship. Junior Aylin Haro had a different reason on why relationships cause anxiety. Most times some people tend to have high expectations in a relationship and it brings pressure to the other person.

“Relationships do cause uncertainty,” Haro said. “Relationships cause anxiety because there’s a lot of stress that comes with a relationship. Stress builds up and makes the relationship toxic.” 

Haro had a very different reason about her thoughts about concern being present in relationships. There are many times where negative experiences from the past have caused personal problems such as mental health, or someone not wanting to be in a relationship. Such past experiences could have developed trust issues or fears of being too vulnerable when talking to someone new or being in a new relationship. If people have had bad experiences with relationships in the past then it definitely causes them to feel anxious when talking to someone new or in a new relationship. Relationships can definitely be toxic if two people aren’t in a good place to be in a relationship, or if they aren’t able to communicate well with one another.

“They cause panic,” Senior Shanna Aguilar said. “Some people aren’t physically or mentally prepared for a relationship or the commitment that comes with being in a relationship.”