Review: The Silence of the Lambs

“The Silence of the Lambs” is a classic 1991 horror film perfect for Halloween night.

“The Silence of the Lambs” is one of the most famous psychological thrillers of all time, and for good reason. 

The film’s classic antagonist, Hannibal Lecter, is one of the most famous horror villains. The movie also features tons of creepy moments and is just all around a great movie. The plot follows Clarice Starling, a student at the FBI training academy. She is sent to a mental ward to interview Hannibal Lecter, a brilliant psychiatrist who is also a psychopath and a cannibal. She tries to get information for an investigation to find the perpetrator of a series of brutal murders that have been taking place. 

“The Silence of the Lambs” is a 1991 film directed by Jonathan Demme, director of  “Philadelphia” (1993) and “The Manchurian Candidate” (2004). The film stars Jodie Foster, Anthony Hopkins, Ted Levine and Scott Glenn. The film is based on the 1988 novel of the same name, written by Thomas Harris. When the movie came out, it got tons of critical acclaim. It won the “Big Five” at the academy awards: best actor, best actress, best director, best picture and best original screenplay.

Hannibal Lecter is only on screen for a total of 24 minutes, but steals every scene he is in.

I am a big fan of crime thrillers like “Zodiac” and “Se7en,” but this film stands above the rest. It has everything you would want in a psychological thriller: memorable and creepy villains, tense investigation scenes, and some genuinely terrifying moments. Arguably one of the most tense scenes in any horror movie is in the final act, when the main character is stuck in a dark basement, and she can’t see anything. The killer is also down there, but he can see her due to night vision goggles. It is extremely creepy, and it is all thanks to the excellent direction from Jonathan Demme. Hannibal Lecter is great, but he’s not the only memorable villain in the movie. Ted Levine is also very creepy as the side villain, Buffalo Bill.

I recommend this movie to anyone who is a fan of investigation movies, crime movies,  psychological thrillers, or just straight up horror.