Coping With Distance Learning

With at least a month of online learning remaining, how are Woodside students spending their free time?
Gary Teele
Now that Woodside has switched to distance learning, all homework and schoolwork is assigned and submitted online.

Woodside High School and other schools in the Sequoia Union High School District had to transition from on campus learning to distance learning on March 13 amid growing concerns over the coronavirus.

With distance learning, students would no longer attend school; they would instead be assigned work on the academic platform Canvas that they would have to complete from their homes.

The decision to close schools was made by the Board of Trustees, the San Mateo County Health Office of Education, and the San Mateo County Health Officer. According to the San Mateo County Health Department, schools will not return to usual classes until, at the earliest, May 1.

However, there is a possibility that schools will not return to on-campus learning on the expected date. California Governor Gavin Newsom recently announced during a press conference that it is possible for schools to remain closed until summer break.

Nicole Ayala, a junior at Woodside, shared how she is trying to keep herself healthy.

“[I’m] taking care of not getting this virus, doing my school work, [and] trying to do something productive like doing exercise and cooking home foods,” said Ayala.

Menlo-Atherton senior Ana Cruz shared that, besides doing her school assignments and going to work, she uses her time trying to keep her house clean.

“Besides school work, I’m going to… continue working while I still have a job,” Cruz said. “Also, I would help at my house doing chores, like cleaning the kitchen, cleaning the bathroom, and doing laundry. Right now, the assignments that are given to us are not a lot, so it does give plenty of free time.”

Diego Ramirez, a Woodside freshman, said that he tries to stay home and look for ways to stay entertained.

“I will take advantage of my time completing school work and finally finishing the 1000 pieces puzzle I bought months ago,” Ramirez said. “I feel like I do have a lot of free time because I don’t waste enough physical energy, and it’s even harder to fall asleep at night.”