Endgame’s Success Snapped Infinity War’s Out of the Water

Endgame’s success led it to be the highest grossing movie of the year.
Polygon
The opening weekend of Avengers: Endgame broke box office records.

Avengers: Endgame broke box office record at $2 billion, filling up seats and selling out in every theater before opening weekend.

Before Endgame, Marvel released a series of individual character movies and previous related Avengers movies that culminated in this one. Marvel said that Endgame was going to be the last Avengers movie, and fans went crazy about it. Seats in every theater were completely filled.

“When I went, which was opening night, the theater was completely full, and it was like you couldn’t even move,” said Ailen Bellver Eymann, a Woodside High School freshman and Avengers fanatic.  

Avengers: Endgame is continually gaining money, but so far, it is the highest-grossing film of the year; it made $2 billion on the opening weekend. Because of the popularity of the movie, most theaters playing it pre-sold tickets to give people more time to purchase them. Still, every ticket was sold before the release date.

“You’d think that since I work at the theater it’d be easier to get tickets for a movie, but it took me a good hour to find tickets for Endgame because every time I tried to pay, someone [would] get them quicker,” said Alexis Maldonado a 17-year-old who works at the American Multi-Cinema Eastridge 15 in San Jose.

Maldonado added that, at one point, she was not quick enough getting the two showings after her shift and had to look for a different times to go with her friends. She said she even considered waiting until after the opening weekend so that the hype could go down a little.

“I was really frustrated, but I guess all in all it was completely worth it to get opening night tickets, because the theater was full of good videos,” said Maldonado. “Everyone was excited, and… it just felt like everyone in there was ready to watch a good *ss movie.”

Other than waiting for the actual movie, the wait times for snacks and bathrooms were full of Marvel fans. Out of the mere two concessions open, both had lines that almost went out to the stairs.

“And that is why I made sure to get to the theater early,” said Samuel Pasalaqua. “Though the lines were still super long.”