Student-immigrants find a place in the Woodside community

Rana+Abuirbaileh+lived+in+Jordan+for+most+of+her+life%2C+having+immigrated+to+the+U.S.+in+February.+
Maissa Aljbarat
Rana Abuirbaileh lived in Jordan for most of her life, having immigrated to the U.S. in February.

Rana Abuirbaileh, a new student from Jordan, is learning English with the Paw Print staff this year. She interviewed two of her classmates who are also new immigrants. Her interviews have been edited for clarity. 

Three of the immigrant students studying at Woodside this school year are hoping to find more opportunities to learn. I have spoken with Veronika Zubko from Ukraine, and Yarely Espinoza Lara from Mexico. I am also sharing my own story.

My name is Rana Abuirbaileh. I’m 16 years old. My country is Jordan where I lived since childhood, where I have many beautiful memories. I really miss Jordan, although I have not yet completed a year here in America. I miss the tasty food, which reminds me of my mother’s tenderness and warmth. There are many things about Jordan that cannot be described. I remember the days when the sun went down, and we all went outside to play ball with our friends. When we were done, we bought things to eat together. I miss my teachers, who made an effort to teach us even when they were working with too many students. 

I have two nationalities: Jordanian and Palestinian. Now, I’m in America. I came here to study and work. I came to the country in February, and came to school after a month. My father, brother, and sister have been here for seven years. My mother is still in Jordan. I loved everything in Jordan. The people there are very nice. 

Life here is very pleasant as well, with the school, the teachers, and the students. I like participating in the math club and learning English. At first, I was afraid. School in my country was worse than school here. There were no breaks in the school day, and no food. Teachers here are respectful, and in turn they respect the opinions of students and others. I made a good friend named Selvin. I also enjoy the English Language Development (ELD) leadership team meetings. That group makes me happy, and it encourages us to participate in other activities, such as the sports club, which l love a lot. I also have fun in the drawing club.

When you waste time, you will regret it. This is the rule that I live by. If you dream of reaching something, strive and study to reach it.

Rana interviewed two immigrant Woodside students who are adjusting to life in the Woodside community. 

Veronica Zubko arrived in May from Ukraine. She plans to stay until May or June, and this will be her last year here.

“I don’t know if I will get scholarships from competitive programs or not, but I know my friends will,”  Zubko said. “I think it will require… an English level test, but I trust them very much that they will pass. We never got scholarships from our country.”

While the transition has been difficult, Zubko found a silver lining along her adjustment to life at Woodside. 

“I love the beautiful life here,” Zubko said. “We can work, and there is money here. Also… I miss [my country] a lot, because many of my friends and some of my family are there. [There] is food that I love a lot… [And by] coming here, I get to [make] new and very good friends.”

Yarely Espinoza Lara, a student who immigrated from Mexico, also shared her story. 

“I am a student from Mexico,” Espinoza Lara said. “I like to be here a lot. I have been here for more than a year, but I miss some of my friends who are in Mexico. Some of them are here, and I can go to them when I want. The school here is very good, and I even go to the gym here in the school with my friends.”

Espinoza Lara cannot be sure of the future, but she is willing to put the work in to achieve her goals.

“This is my last year here,” Espinoza Lara said. “[I don’t know whether I will] really graduate or not, because I’m not up to par. But I will work hard… I will learn… My brother and my sister studied here and succeeded… Students are good in class at dealing with teachers. I am lucky to be here.”