2019’s First Major Queerbait, in “Wish You Were Gay”

The pop star Billie Eilish received backlash after one of the songs on her EP, "Wish You Were Gay," is seen as offensive and as a queerbait to some in the community.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Billie Eilish posing for a photo

Billie Eilish posing for a photo

Billie Eilish posing for a photo

Billie Eilish posing for a photo

Spencer Graham, Staff Writer

“Wish You Were Gay” by Billie Eilish has sparked controversy based on lyrics that some have interpreted as offensive to LGBTQ+ persons. The song has been seen as rude to the LGBTQ+ community, and some have accused it of queerbaiting: a process where one intentionally titles something to insinuate an LGBTQ+ involvement, yet it never comes to fruition.

This opinion is not shared amongst everyone though, with one example being Zoe Roytenberg, a senior from Woodside High School. Zoe told the Paw Print that “I feel like the intention of Billie Eilish when writing this song wasn’t to queerbait, or make people feel bad about it. She probably didn’t think it through on how it may affect people.”

Eilish worsened her situation when she commented on her Instagram feed after the song’s release stating, “Guess what, he just came out to me like a couple weeks ago. So I wrote the song and made him fuck a dude. I’m fucking proud, bro, except not really though because I was really into him, like so into him. He’s so hot, oh my god.”

Either way, Roytenberg stated that “Sometimes you can’t try, and still not offend a person. As everyone has a different thing that they will be offended by. This is obviously something she overlooked, and intent matters, especially in this case.”

Eilish responded to the backlash in an interview with PopBuzz to try and clear things up, as her opinion is similar to that of Rottenberg’s opinion.

“It’s kind of like ‘I’m an ass and you don’t love me. And you don’t love me because you don’t love me and that’s the only reason and I wish you didn’t love me because you didn’t love girls,'” Eilish explained.

Eilish’s album, “WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO?” was released on many streaming services, and is available for readers to form their own opinion.