Tricks, Treats, And Trouble On The Streets

How Do Teens Feel About Drinking and Driving?

12 percent of teen driving fatalities are the result of drunk driving.

Breanna Broussard

Breanna Broussard

Breanna Broussard, Staff Writer

Drunk driving statistics increase every Halloween, with teenagers making up a high percentage of those who drink and drive.

Every anonymous source interviewed had been in a situation where they drove under the influence or they were in the car with someone driving under the influence. If almost all of them can agree that drinking and driving is wrong, why do teenagers continue to do this?

“It’s stupid to even make that choice,” one anonymous source admitted.  “You’re not only risking your life but others’.”

According to the U.S Department of Transportation, 10,322 people were killed in alcohol-impaired-driving crashes in 2012. These alcohol-impaired driving fatalities accounted for 31 percent of the total vehicle traffic fatalities in the United States.

Despite these statistics, one source believed that “people should do what they want and it’s their choice.”

You’re not only risking your life but others’.”

— Anonymous

Dana Flores, a graduate from Woodside High School, offered other potential reasons for teen drinking and driving.

“Some teens do not have trust in their parents or the individuals around them,” Flores elaborated, “and many teens can’t afford to use driving services, such as Uber and Lyft.”

Kathryn Williams, a Woodside senior, thinks that teens should think about how not choosing an alternate safe option can lead to dangerous consequences.

“The best choice is to call a trusted friend or adult,” Williams said. “Even if you get in trouble, dying in a alcohol related car accident or injuring your friend is not worth it. It’s never worth the risk.”

Drivers under the age of 21 are responsible for 17 percent of drunk driving fatalities

Breanna Broussard, Staff Writer

Breanna Broussard is a staff writer and a first year reporter for the Woodside Paw Print. She is passionate about getting the truth out and wants to use...