Semi-Annual Blood Drive Allows Students to Save Lives

Woodside students help save lives by donating blood at this week’s semi-annual blood drive.
Holly Rusch, lead of the Blood Drive committee, was happy with the turnout.

Woodside High School students held their semi-annual blood drive with the Red Cross today. Students who participated had the chance to save three lives with their donated pint of blood.

The Blood Drive was held today from 8:30 to 12:30. Students were delivered passes to leave class for their donation appointment in the Old Gym, where they were quickly evaluated to determine their eligibility for donation. The blood draw itself only takes 20 minutes, but the evaluation process before and resting period after add up to a total time commitment of approximately an hour.

As long as applicants meet age, height, and weight requirements, they are qualified to donate blood. Students under 16 are not eligible to donate, but all students 16 to 18 years old are. Parental consent must be provided for 16-year-old applicants.

This semester, the Red Cross offered Woodside 50 slots for blood donation, and 42 were filled. This is an improvement from last semester, where only 30 slots were granted and 28 were filled.

The blood drive is organized by the student-run blood drive committee in Woodside’s leadership program. Woodside junior Holly Rusch, the lead of the committee, spends month

s in advance organizing dates and outreach while communicating with the Red Cross to prepare.

It’s amazing how little you can do to actually save someone’s life.

— Holly Rusch

“It’s amazing how little you can do to actually save someone’s life, so I’m really glad more people are signing up,” Rusch said.  “Although running it can be stressful as there are so many important details to keep track of, leadership does a really good job of working together to hold a successful Blood Drive.”

Ms. Leslie With, the leadership teacher at Woodside, supervises the blood drive committee and is proud to see students using this opportunity for a good cause.

“It’s an important way for students to learn the rewarding feeling of helping others. This is why we continue to support holding two annual Blood Drives per year on campus,” With explained.

The donors for the blood drive were proud to have taken the chance to save a life.

“I’m nervous because I haven’t gotten my blood drawn since I was little, but it makes me so happy that the Woodside community comes together each year and holds this,” Laura Saliba, junior at Woodside and blood donor, elaborated. “It shows how we recognize how we can help others in everyday life.”

Students were excited to have such an easy, local way to get involved with benefiting the community.

“I think it’s great that they hold this on campus. It spreads awareness that we have the choice to get involved in helping others,” Woodside junior Breanna Broussard said.  “I know I wouldn’t be giving blood if it wasn’t offered here. I hope more people apply to donate next year. Maybe a signup link on the daily announcements would help advertise. Woodside students should take this easy opportunity to save a life.”

The employees for Red Cross are proud to be causing a positive impact by doing their jobs.

“I find the job very fulfilling. Even when I come home tired, it feels good to know that I helped save lives today,” RJ, a Red Cross employee at the blood drive, said.  “The interactions with donors of different walks of life are my favorite part of the job. Sometimes, we’ll be drawing blood from a Silicon Valley scientist, and other times, we’ll be working with sixteen-year-olds. I get to see how all different types of people come together to help the world.”