The Plight of the National Collegiate Athletic Association

Should college football players be paid?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Nick Bosa plays defensive end for Ohio State Buckeyes.

MVLive

MVLive

MVLive

Emma Kinder, Staff Writer

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) is debating whether to pay college players or not, since many are dropping out to prepare for the 2019 National Football League (NFL) Draft.

Although college football players are not paid, many believe they should be due to the large time requirement and talent that the sports requires.

“I think [the players] should be able to capitalize on their hard work and on their image, especially when the university and the NCAA are making a whole lot of money off of them, and they should be able to make money themselves too,” commented Justin Andrews, Varsity Football Head Coach.

Still, others feel that college athletes players already receive enough benefits.

I think [the players] should be able to capitalize on their hard work and on their image, especially when the university and the NCAA are making a whole lot of money off of them.”

— Justin Andrews

“I think they’re already paid in the form of a scholarship and I feel that is their form of payment,” disagreed Timothy Faulkner, Woodside High School’s Athletic Director. “Education [is] free [and] books [are] free, depending on what sport [you play], so I do feel that is a form of payment.”

Many college football players who leave their teams do so not due to the lack of a salary but instead in hopes of avoiding an injury—or recovering from one— before the draft. Ohio State Buckeyes defensive end Nick Bosa had surgery on Thursday to fix a core muscle injury and will not return to college football; instead, he will focus on preparing for the NFL draft. Even though money does not seem to be the primary concern, though, some feel like it would persuade the players to stay.

“If you think about the amount of time and effort and energy that goes into playing college sports and how much money is being made from their talents… and the fact that for the vast majority of college athletes [aren’t] going to move on to the professional level, their earning potential is going to be right there in college,” said Andrews.

About the Writer
Emma Kinder, Staff Writer

Emma Kinder is a reporter for the Woodside Paw Print. She is passionate about sports and wants to become a better writer and help people know what is going...