Waterpolo is Back

Kiki Koeppen, Health and Lifestyle Editor

Woodside wildcats are more than ready for the start of the fall 2017-2018 water polo season.

Water polo is a widely popular sport for many high schoolers in the district. It’s a aggressive aquatic sport that takes place in the pool. Last year the boys varsity team ended the season in 5th place in the bay division with two wins and four losses. Coaches are very excited for their teams to get back into the pool in preparation for the upcoming season and to see them go further up the ranks.

“I feel very excited for the upcoming season because this is my first year at Woodside,” said Woodside boys varsity coach, Bruno Antonino. “I love starting new adventures and new challenges with a completely new group for me. ”

It isn’t just coaches that are excited for the new season; players are thrilled to get back into the water, especially the girls varsity, who are working to keep their spot in the standings from last year, due to them finishing in 2nd with five wins and one loss.

“I’m excited for the upcoming season,” said Danny Whiting, a Woodside junior and participant on the JV girls team. “Hopefully we play well against some good teams!”

The teams are determined to crush the ones they had lost to last year, for example,  Castilleja.

“We are already in the highest division, competing against top level programs such as Menlo and M-A,” said senior varsity boys player, Cameron Vaughan. “I do believe that we will be able to move up rankings in our league, though, and hopefully qualify for CCS again like we did in 2015-16. We have a solid set of players who are willing to play their hardest at practice, and in games, and are driven to win. That attitude goes a long way.”

The teams, both girls and boys believe they are more than ready for the upcoming season, especially due to the amount of hardwork and dedication they put in preseason.

“I strongly believe this group can have a great season,” said Antonino. “because I see in every practice a big willingness to work hard, commit and sacrifice to achieve our objectives. We started our season very early and worked very hard in the pool and outside the pool, because of that, I think the team is ready for a great season.”

With the bar and expectations set high and their hopes up, the Woodside water polo teams, both boys and girls, are more than ready to show some wildcat pride

“The greatest skill we can improve is awareness as a team,” said Vaughan. “Knowing what to do in what situation is something that is hard to coach, but every day at practice we work on it, and get better. The seniors help the freshmen, sophomores, and juniors in this aspect.”

• Waterpolo is Back

Campus

1… 2… 3… Dodgeball!

• Waterpolo is Back

Sports

NBA vs. NHL Playoffs

• Waterpolo is Back

Sports

The Woes of the Woodside Badminton Team

• Waterpolo is Back

Sports

Woodside Baseball Starting Off Strong

• Waterpolo is Back

Politics

Supreme Court Decision Could Possibly Lead to The Legalization of Sports Betting

• Waterpolo is Back

Sports

Woodside Golf Team Off To A Hot Start

• Waterpolo is Back

Sports

UPDATED: Let the Madness Begin!

• Waterpolo is Back

Sports

Girl’s Soccer Success

• Waterpolo is Back

Sports

Despite losses, JV fights on

• Waterpolo is Back

Sports

Triumph of the Wildcats

• Waterpolo is Back

Sports

What’s Going on with Woodside Wrestling

• Sports

The Lack of Interest in WHS Sports

• Waterpolo is Back

Sports

The Rigorous Journey of the CCS Championships

• Waterpolo is Back

Sports

The 49ers/WHS Varsity Record Comparison

• Sports

Practices and Games Cancelled Due to Weather

Waterpolo is Back