Women’s March 2018

Isabella Williams, Online Editor

Pink knit hats topped the heads of thousands of women, men, and children in downtown San Francisco this weekend at the annual Women’s March to protest sexual harassment, gender inequality, and Donald Trump’s presidency.

An energetic crowd filled with signs with empowering political messages packed into Civic Center Plaza for a rally, followed with a march down Market Street to the Embarcadero. While the last Women’s March was centered around empowerment, this year’s march aimed to bring about action.

Students that attended felt that the Women’s march was a good opportunity to show pride and power in femininity and well as uplift other women.

“I think it’s a great way to bond with other women and feel pride about being a girl,” Breanna Broussard, junior at WHS said. 

As a guy that was raised entirely surrounded by women, I am aware of how amazing they are. It’s important to support them and help get them where they should be in society.”

— Devin Dohrman

Women were not the only ones to celebrate gender equality at the march. Men and children also flooded the streets of San Francisco to support the women in their lives.

“As a guy that was raised entirely surrounded by women, I am aware of how amazing they are. It’s important to support them and help get them where they should be in society,” Devin Dohrman, senior at WHS says.

The march inspired many people to incorporate activism into their daily life and work towards change.

“ I learned that uplifting and supporting others girls and helping them find success is a necessary part of getting women to where they should be in society. I think that is the most important part of feminism,” Kathryn Williams, junior at WHS said.

As well as a central theme of female empowerment, the march also protested against the current political climate and other social issues.

“I just feel like the Women’s March had an ultimate theme of human equality in gender as well as race, financial status, and more,” Jana Schmidt, freshman at WHS said.

The Women’s March was successful in showing the power and passion of the female voice.

“These marches inspire action and raise awareness through social media and the press! Sexist people need to know that women will not stop until their voices are heard,” Broussard adds.

As well as spreading an important message, attendants felt that the march brought together people of all walks of life for one central cause.

“My favorite part of the march was seeing everybody so passionate about a message and to come together no matter their backgrounds and spread awareness,” Dohrman adds.

• Women’s March 2018

Politics

A Seventy-Year Pause

• Women’s March 2018

Opinion

Mass Shootings and Manifestos: How News Coverage Encourages Killers

• Women’s March 2018

Politics

CA Gubernatorial Candidate Zoltan Istvan Visits Woodside

• Women’s March 2018

Campus

Feminism at Woodside and Beyond

• Women’s March 2018

Local News

Unorthodox Candidates Hope to Succeed Jerry Brown

• Politics

North and South Korea’s Historic Meeting

• Women’s March 2018

Opinion

Torn Apart

• Women’s March 2018

Politics

Kanye West Stirs Controversy On Social Media

• Women’s March 2018

Politics

The Teaching of English is Banned in Iran

• Women’s March 2018

Politics

Supreme Court Decision Could Possibly Lead to The Legalization of Sports Betting

• Women’s March 2018

Politics

San Francisco’s March for Our Lives Puts Young Activists At Its Forefront

• Women’s March 2018

Local News

March for Our Lives in Redwood City

• Women’s March 2018

Politics

Gen. McMaster joins ever-growing list of departures from Trump Administration

• Women’s March 2018

Politics

Woodside Walks Off Campus

• Women’s March 2018

Politics

An Open Letter to the National Rifle Association

Women’s March 2018